First load of fuel in the middle of flight
July of 1923, 27 were carried out the first load of fuel in the air, carried out by two airplanes of Havilland DH-48, the pilot was L. H. Smith and J. P. Richter, the apparatuses stayed in the air during 37 hours and 16 minutes, period during which you/they were carried out 15 recharges demonstrating in that way the viability of this system for flights of long distance.
The German airplane Dornier Do x the biggest hydroplane that was built in the world before the Second World War was. He/she made their inaugural flight July 25 1929. One of the most peculiar characteristics is that it possessed six baskets for their motors, mounted on their gigantic s wings that had helixes behind so much as ahead.
The Dornier Do X was in its moment the adult, heavier and more potent hydroplane of the world when it was manufactured by the German company Dornier in 1929. the airplane, it was designed by the doctor Claudius Dornier, and he/she took him five years among the design, and the construction. In the design process, it was built for the first time in the history of the aviation a model in wood to scale one to one (it climbs real).
It was financed by the Ministry of Transports of German, but manufactured in the plant Dornier of Altenrhein, in the part Switzerland of the lake Constanza, to avoid the terms of the Treaty of Versalles that it prohibited Germany to manufacture certain type of airplanes after the First World War.
Although the design became quickly popular among the public, the lack of interest commercial and several non fatal accidents caused the one that alone three units were built.
The initial planes date of September of 1924 and the design work of it began in the autumn of 1925. They were invested 240.000 working hours approximately before the Do X was finished.
The Do X had the built helmet completely in duraluminio, with the steel wings embraced by a reinforcement of covered duraluminio by a heavy cloth of linen, covered with aluminum painting.
The airplane carries out its inaugural flight, July of 1929, 12 taking off the lake Constanza with the pilot boss of Dornier Richard Wagner.
Initially, propelled by six couples of radial motors of 500 Cv. Siemens Jupiter refrigerated by air prepared in tandem and mounted in six compartments on the wing. This motors whose power was insufficient, they were replaced by 12 Curtiss Conqueror V-12 with liquid refrigeration of 610 Cv that gave him a capacity to reach an altitude of 1.250 m, necessary to cross the Atlantic, although the refrigeration setbacks continued reducing the yield. However, the capacity of load of the airplane was proven in a carried out flight October 31 1929 during which ten people traveled secretly on board the airplane that took 169 passengers in that occasion.
It had been foreseen that the airplane took 100 passengers in transatlantic flights. The luxury, approached at the levels of the transatlantic lines of vapors. He/she had booth-bedroom singular, a room of smokers, a living room a bathroom and a kitchen in three o'clock covered with a helmet of 40 m. The company of the flight bridge consisted of two pilots, a navigator and a radio operator, but the levers of control of gases were low the flight engineer's responsibility whose position was so distant -in the later part of the booth - that the regulation of the power became in an interesting exercise of communications. In the inferior covers, they were the tanks of fuel, provisions and nine tight compartments, of those which, seven, were necessary to be able to float.
The Flugschiff (flying ship), as well as it was called, he/she carried out their first flight July 25 1929. October 21, he/she carried out a test flight in which transported 169 people; 150 passengers (mainly, workers of the factory, their families and some journalists), 9 as company and 10 strained. The flight, broke the world record of people on board an airplane that would not be beaten until past twenty years. After a career of 50 seconds, slowly it ascended until an altitude of of single 200 m (650 feet). After 40 minutes to a maximum speed of 170 km/h (105 mph), Constance landed in the lake.
The Do X left of Friedrichshafen, Germany November of 1930, 2 steered by Friedrich Christiansen, in a transatlantic flight of test, heading for United States via Amsterdam, Calshot (I Reign United) and Lisbon. The flight was sowed of accidents. In Lisbon, one of the deposits of fuel caught fire, damaging a wing; one month it was needed to repair the airplane. Then, when it took off The Palms of Great Canaria, the helmet suffered damages; due to this, the flight must be delayed other three months. For their next tentative, the airplane was unloaded by means of the elimination of all the teams and superfluous accessories and it took off with a reduced company. Although I am not able to reach a normal altitude of operation during great part of the flight, the Do modified X could conclude the following stage until Native (Brazil) via Portuguese Guinea, the islands of Green End and Fernando of Noronha. The Do X flew to River of Janeiro and then it continued heading for United States, reaching New York, via the Antilles and Miami, August 27 1931. Here, it spent the airplane the nine following months where the motors of the Do X was put to point, and tourists' thousands, they moved to the airport Glenn Curtiss (current Airport The Watch) to see the leviathan of the air. The return trip, began May 19 1932 from New York after carrying out with success the voyage via Harbour Grace, Horta, Vigo and Calshot and finally amerizar in the lake Müggelsee via Berlin May 24, where the Do X was received for more than 200.000 people.